Friday, May 8, 2009

At Home


Three red tulips came up in an old tulip bed by the lilacs. I once had a vision for this bed, with tall,White Triumphator tulips, small Chinese firey red twisted tulips, and blue-black parrot tulips, and checkered frittalaria. I planted bulbs every fall, only to find the shrews or the voles ate most of the bulbs by spring. I gave up on this idea years and years ago , but some tulips still come up. Three makes me quite happy, actually.

I hung the wool rug from our living room, that my mother wove, out in the sunshine, by the spruce tree. Everything that hangs near the spruce picks up that fresh scent. It's finally warm enough to keep the screen door open after the sun sets. The full moon came over the hill, as the owls started to hoot, howl, and screech and chatter up in the woods. It feels so good to be at home.

4 comments:

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

I am feeling these things, too. Just a huge feeling of gratitude to be at home. With my actual house, not apartment, I finally feel like I really am at home. Not a temporary place, though I will only be here for a couple more years. You rug looks so nice hanging out there next to the three tulips. I hope you can keep your door open long into the night.

Susan said...

Brittany, That good feeling at home is one of the best feelings. I've found that it comes from letting go of some ideals (my fancy tulip bed) and liking what comes instead. I'm glad you are in a house you like, with a yard, and some time to be there

pam@gingerbreadsnowflakes.com said...

A beautiful post, Susan. I feel warmed by the light from your windows and welcomed by the picnic table next to the tulps and the rug on the line.Thank you for sharing this lovely reminder to appreciate each perfect moment in our lives.

Susan said...

Well, it was just a regular day, but I was suddenly aware of how good the feeling of it was. Usually, I'm oblivious.
I'm glad if you liked reading it!