Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Damn Gnats!





I usually like the scent of vanilla, but when someone sits next to me smelling like a muffin, I really don't care for it. Many people are wearing it, these days, in the belief it deters gnats.  Gnats?  Yes, we have them, clouds and swarms of them this summer.

Then I heard that Absorbine, Jr. also does the job, and I prefer a mentholated  scent. At the pharmacy I  luckily met my friend,  Jessica, who told me that she hates vanilla, too, and showed me the much cheaper generic-Absorbine.  In her opinion, vanilla is Grandma, Absorbine is Grandpa--take your pick.

8 comments:

Valerie said...

Funny! I smell like Cutters...we are thick with mosquitoes.

Susan said...

Oh, I forgot about Cutters. Old school.

riverweave said...

I second that exclamation. I wear my insect-embedded mesh jacket and it seems they are not even deterred by that, even though I have the hood on and it's zipped as far as it goes. I believe that jacket would work except the particular gnats we have are evil and there are too many.

Susan said...

Mixed reviews on Absorbine, so far, which works well enough for me, but which burns the skin of my sensitive husband, and which does not work for my gnat attractive daughter. There must be a gnat life cycle that should work in our favor

Joanna said...

Grandpa for me! Doesn't work for my husband, but a bit dabbed behind the ears and back of neck on the border collies seems to keep them from being bothered.

Susan said...

ha,ha Joanna.Me, too. Grandpa.

kristin said...

my apologies...i'm pretty sure we were all heavily doused with vanilla when we came into your studio...it's what they recommended at the farm and it seemed to work!

Susan said...

Kristin,
Imagine if the scents of vanilla mixed with Absorbine Jr? But, I think your vanillas had worn off by the time you were with me. That's what people complained about, was how often they needed to reapply vanilla.
It's much less gnatty here, at last