Wednesday, March 17, 2010

rag rug weaver?

Since the frost has come out, the path is too soft to walk on.  Luckily, there are a lot of bark slabs left over from our winter woodpile.



My little Norwood loom has a fresh 15 yard warp on now,  in 16/2 Swedish cotton, with a subtle green pinstripe.  A small stack of spring/summer scarves in cotton and linen is growing.
My designs are asymmetrical stripes and block inlays, that will frame the face in a different set of colors and stripes each time the wearer wraps it on. The differences will be subtle, but difference is interesting.  In my book, difference is good.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

This is one truly beautiful scarf!

Janice Zindel said...

Really beautiful scarves, Susan, wish I could see them in person!

weaveblah said...

Hi Susan, I like your scarf very much, and in particular your use of block inlay. The overall effect is stunning. (I'm hoping you might post a tutorial on this technique, in the future).

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

You just keep making more beautiful things! These colors are stunning, and I'm not even usually a "lots of color" person. I love the bark over the path, too :)

Susan said...

Weaveblah, A tutorial? from me? The blind leading the sighted, comes to mind. But thank you for asking, and if I get a clear vision of it myself, I'll give it a try.
It's very fun, and simple.

Brittany, not a color person! Who are you kidding?
(The bark path was a necessity that was surprisingly pleasant to look at, saved my shoes, and seems to be going away gradually, all by itself. My kind of project!)

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

I suppose my rug is colorful, but I usually lean toward neutrals with pops of one or two colors. I love color, but don't often use many of them in the piece. I think I don't quite feel comfortable with it yet... I'll get there!

jean cave said...

Utterly divine scarves restrained but zingy. Love the lineny mattness. I am planning a project to make a rag rug similar to the ones I saw in North Sweden made by old-timer. The colour range of that was just perfect too. Just to explain how I got here on the web.