Saturday, April 26, 2014

Small Family Farm






A rainy day, but Small Family Farm had been able to plant seeds in their fields on the previous two sunny, dry days. Jillian, the farmer,  hopes the soil will warm up, so there will be organic vegetables ready for CSA share boxes, starting in 5 or 6 weeks.  "We really need it to warm up!"

 I'm making handwoven curtains for the Small Family kitchen windows in trade for my vegetable share! How wonderful for me! I was in their kitchen on this rainy day, to measure windows, with Jillian, her mom, Jane, and her small daughter, Ayla.  Small Family Farm is in my neighborhood,  just over the ridge from Avalanche, and I call it my garden. 

3 comments:

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

You are indeed blessed to have organic vegetables just across the field, so to speak. This farm looks like my mom's farm just south of you (Missouri) and where I have the fondest memories of childhood. Hoping for spring to finally reach you, Susan. Sometimes I feel that the contrast of fertile summers and abundant falls with the hard icy winds of winter is what makes your work so magnificent.

Susan said...

Dawn, thank you! I'm sure I don't know what affects me when I choose colors and designs. Eleanor Pritchard, the textile designer, says design needs to have a connection to the place where it's made. That may be what happens whether we know it or not. I forgot you're a Midwestern girl.

Velma Bolyard said...

perfect! we barter away up here in the north country!