Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Plastic!



When the Finland girl mentioned her grandmother's golden plastic coffee bags woven into rag rugs, I remembered my mother telling me, after she had made her first trip to Finland, "Susan, they are saving up golden plastic coffee bags to weave into their sauna rugs. I will never weave plastic in my rugs."

I thought, I might weave plastic in my rugs, and I did. I liked it. Today, I started looking for more white things to tie into my rya weave. Thinking of plastic, I found a woven plastic tarp on my packing shelf that I unwove. Now I have narrow striped pieces, very strong and easy to thread on my needle. When I threaded the first one into the weave I felt a small thrill. There are the plastic ribbons, just after the silk ribbons, the paper and the mohair. It's the mix that excites me. The idea for this was put into my head this morning from someone I don't know, far away in the north.

2 comments:

Ursula said...

A very nice addition to this rug. I can't wait to see the finished product. Is this the one that is showing at Finn Fest in Duluth?

Avalanche Looms / Susan Johnson said...

If it is finished, yes.