Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Our village TV


The election has dominated my thoughts, and yesterday, before we heard the results, it was difficult to focus on any task, even weaving. Because we live in a remote valley, where it is difficult to get any reception, we usually go to visit friends on the ridge when we need to watch TV. So we went to the airplane hangar where our friends Phil and Kathy invited us to watch
the election results on Phil's $2 rummage sale TV. It looked a little fuzzy at first, until we twitched the antenna. Then we could read and watch the numbers, and see people rather distinctly. We clearly saw when the exact number of votes had been reached to declare the winner. A banner flashed across the bottom of the screen: OBAMA ELECTED.

I'm sure we'll all remember this night in the years to come. Oh beautiful, our United States of America.

With malice toward none, with charity for all, ...let us strive on to finish the work we are in, ...to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.
Abraham Lincoln, Second Inaugural Address, Mar. 4, 1865
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

2 comments:

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

I love that you have to travel for tv! I argue with myself between the occasional enjoyment I get from it and the time it makes me waste. And the crap I see... That's why I got rid of cable!


WE WON!!!!

Avalanche Looms / Susan Johnson said...

Well, we don't try too hard to get tv out here, and I do have this wonder of highspeed internet, netflix, & hulu.com We did win. It's still hard to believe.