Sunday, February 23, 2014

never sorry












The sparrow hawk hit the window sometime during our last blizzard, and I found it frozen, stiff on the ground, by the bird feeder.  This small hawk is so swift and lethal, I have arranged wires and protections over the seed pan, which also deters my cat, Mina Perhonen, My Butterfly. Should I keep cats if I feed birds!?  What if the cat caught the sparrow hawk?

These are old lady questions. Am I an old lady?  Also, an old lady question.

My blanket for a penal colony has become an 11 foot long table cloth. The penal colony I had in mind is one where dissident artists are sent. Pussy Riot sent to Siberia. Ai Weiwei in China. Not just the famous ones, but especially for the artists we don't even know about.  I wish this could be on their table.

9 comments:

jan said...

Speaking as a 'middle-aged' old lady, I know what you mean about the dilemma of having cats, and putting out birdfood! I do put feed out. I also have birdboxes for them to nest in. The cat catches mice, and occasional birds. It's upsetting; but it is their nature. What I've noticed, is my cats have grown out of hunting as they've got older. I just wait until they grow up, and out of it! But the sparrowhawk! Beautiful!

fabriquefantastique said...

great photos! so appealing.
BTW my maiden name is Sparrowhawk, wish I ha kept it.

Elizabeth McMurtry said...

I always love your powerful words.

Patrice A. said...

that sparrowhawk is a beauty!
as is your long tablecloth!!!
loving the black and
that dark little cross ;^))
and
what a great name for your cat

x

susan hemann said...

lovely work!

Barb said...

You are so not an old lady---old ladies do not have great idea's!

Susan said...

Barb! I'm just catching myself having thoughts that I used to think were things that only little old ladies worried about. And frankly, if the shoe fits...

bigBANG studio said...

STUNNING! Debbie Pavick sent me over here and I couldn't be more inspired. I just took my first weaving workshop on a four-harness loom at Harrisville Designs in NH, and now I'm eager to get back on the loom. It's addictive. And your work is absolutely masterful. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, How can I learn to do inlays such as your crosses and squares?